If you’re on the run or simply looking for a recipe that is packed with nutrients and can be made in just minutes, then you’ve come to the right place. Often we think of smoothies as needing a lot of prep work, but this recipe simply uses thawed frozen berries and some ripe bananas to make a delicious smoothie that is rich in antioxidants.
Add in some chia seeds and place into the fridge for a nutrient dense treat. This is an ideal snack for growing kids because chia seeds are rich in fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, manganese and phosphorous. Chia seeds also contain zinc, vitamin B1-3 and potassium.
Chia seed pudding can be made so many different ways, so here are some basic tips to remember and feel free to be as creative as you like with it.
- You want to work with a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio when making chia seed pudding. If you like the pudding a little runnier, add 5 parts liquid to 1 part chia seeds. Likewise, if you prefer it on the thicker side, add 4 parts liquid to 1 part chia seeds.
So, here is an example:
If you have 500ml of liquid, then you want to add between 100ml (runny) – 125ml (thick) of chia seeds to the liquid.
- You don’t have to make it with milk. Most recipes will use coconut milk, but you can actually make chia seed pudding with a runny yoghurt or smoothies as well.
- The chia seeds will start to bloom or become gelatinous fairly quickly, so start stirring it immediately to avoid the chia seeds from bonding together and making the pudding clumpy.
- If you’re in a hurry, you can eat it after around 20-30 minutes, but there may be a little crunch left. If you want to have a soft and smooth pudding, leave the pudding in the fridge for roughly 2 hours.
Banana Berry Smoothie
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen (thawed) Berries
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- Blend until smooth. Pour into your glass or Pouchee and enjoy. You may want to add some ice if you are using fresh berries.
Banana Berry Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 Cup Fresh or frozen (thawed) berries
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 Cup Chia Seeds
- Blend the berries and bananas until smooth then pour into a bowl or container.
- Add the chia seeds and stir well until well combined. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂 You can add your favourite fruit as a topping or enjoy it as is.