Carrot Muffins has always been a household favourite, but the traditional recipe contains quite a lot of sugar. This recipe uses bananas and a small amount of maple syrup as a sweetener, so it’s still nice and sweet, but a lot better for you. These healthy Carrot and Apple Muffins are also allergy-friendly and a great addition to school and kindergarten lunchboxes.
Now, at first glance, there are a lot of ingredients, but please don’t let that overwhelm you. All these ingredients are normal pantry items that you will probably have on hand and there are only a few simple steps to making them so it is a really easy recipe.
If you’re anything like me (a little bit of a lazy baker), you can actually pop the bananas, oil, maple syrup and vinegar into a blender to do all the work for you. Then simply mix it in a bowl with the dry ingredients along with the apple and carrots before transferring it to a muffin tray.
If you don’t have all the spices, simply omit the one you don’t have and it will still taste great. You could also substitute the ginger,nutmeg and clove with 2 tsp Ground Mixed Spice if you have it.
Happy baking everyone 🙂
Healthy Carrot and Apple Muffins (GF, DF, EF)
- 1/2 Cup Olive or melted coconut oil
- 3 Mashed ripe bananas
- 3 Cups Carrot (finely grated) Approx 3 medium sized carrots
- 1 Cup Apple (finely grated) Approx 2 apples
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Clove
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, bananas, maple syrup and vinegar and whisk until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt, then stir until evenly mixed.
- Add the grated carrot and apples and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin tins, then bake at 180°C for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes before turning it out of the muffin tin. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.